A Legacy of Healing
This Neel-Reid-designed pavilion hospital, built in 1919 and saved from the wrecking ball in 2001, has captured imaginations and inspired movements. Its restoration sparked the revitalization of Atlanta’s Oakhurst district, sending positive ripples into the community.
The Georgian Revival-style building was situated for southern exposure and its generous windows bathe the interior with natural light. …Long, screened-in porches allowed bedridden children to be wheeled into the fresh air during the warmer months. In the 1940’s, when new medicines were developed to treat polio and other diseases, the importance of the screened porches was reduced and they were ultimately enclosed with the current casement windows.
Amy Wilson – From The Solarium, June 2, 2013
The non-profit PRI commissioned SDA’s rehabilitation and adaptive use of the hospital, plus new, Craftsman-style, wheelchair-accessible housing called Independent Communities. The hospital was reconfigured as offices, galleries and a community center. With its new center, the South Decatur community, active since the 1970s, was able to expand revenue streams and fund more substantial projects.
Awarded2004 Urban Land Institute (ULI) Award of Excellence
2003 City of Decatur Historic Preservation Commission Sayward Award for Design Excellence
2003 Georgia Trust Award for Excellence in Rehabilitation