A Community Builds a Stunning Library
Winner of nine awards and counting, the AFPLS Metropolitan Library is a 25,000 s.f. facility providing traditional library resources as well as many forward-looking community resources. Designed in a true collaboration with the architecture and interiors firms of ai3 and Craig Gaulden Davis, the branch occupies a prominent site in the Sylvan Hills neighborhood of Atlanta and meets as many of the goals expressed by the community as possible. The library program includes community spaces for groups and classes, expanded digital resources, childrens’ areas and after-school programs as a social connector for community, family, technology, literature and information.
The exceptional glass-curtain-walled structure features an open plan that affords a feeling of space and light, while acoustical controls expertly manage sound reflection. Public art pervades the library, as well as several sensitive installations in remembrance of the church that formerly occupied the site. Four white granite, Doric columns that once supported the church’s façade now hold the site’s corner in silent witness to history.
The Team for the Metropolitan library was thoughtfully assembled to afford optimum multi-disciplinary oversight. Located in a transitional neighborhood, this project was replete with both opportunity and challenge. From its inception, the Library was developed as a cultural center and locus of information, education, ideas and socialization, ultimately creating the conditions for positive community change.
Awarded• 2017 – Atlanta Urban Design Commission - Community Design Award, NPU X
• 2017 – Georgia Public Library Service – Ten Most Beautiful Libraries in Georgia
• 2016 – American Infrastructure Magazine Building of the Year Award
• 2016 – Associated Builders and Contractors of Georgia – Safety and Excellence in Construction Merit Award
• 2016 – CMAA South Atlantic Chapter – Project Achievement Awards – Public Building New Construction and Sustainability
• 2016 – AIA South Carolina – Design Honor Award
• 2016 – AIA South Carolina – Interior Architecture Design Honor Award
• 2016 – “Best of the Best” Award – IIDA Georgia Chapter
Photo Credits: Dorian Shy